Friday, October 8, 2010

Irony with a Scone

Alert: Post contains sarcasm towards Americans and possibility negative undertones.

Firstly I want to say I love Apartment Therapy and followers of this blog will know that I have purchased Maxwell's latest book and love it.

I enjoy The Kitchn posts too and have been known on many occasions to borrow recipes for good home cooking.

Today though, I was a little peeved when I read THIS post.

Taken from The Kitchn post:
"Lucky for me, the first thing I ate when I arrived was a scone — fluffier and more biscuit-like than I'm used to — made with Irish butter and milk, and served with a soft pat of butter on the side. After spending a few minutes under the spell of this little morsel, I pulled myself together and asked William, the chef at Longueville House, "Are you sure this is a scone?" He insisted. These were his Irish scones."
Americans are EXTREMELY patriotic and although Australians are far behind with this trend, we are proud of what we have got going on here.

So what do we have going on here? Among lots of other things, we have Vegimite, lamingtons and we have scones. They are just scones. They do not look or taste like biscuits. They look and taste like scones.

Why do (at times) Americans have to take what is original and mess with it by adding (generally) more sugar, more processed items and more fat?! Then they have this air of 'well these are scones, what is it over in the UK or Australia that is soft like a cake but they call them scones'

Quelle surprise - They are ^*#%*# scones!

It seems to Americans that what they have they believe is the original and everything else is foreign. It is extremely egocentric!

So what is the (general) difference we have here in Australia?

We are blessed with fresh international produce and are influenced by imported food which is (generally) readily available. Well I am referring to capital cities here, sorry to my peeps in country towns.

We will search extensively to find (original) recipes of something from the (actual) country (and even province) by researching (trusty google ;) or phoning a friend which is (probably) first generation of that origin and getting her mother's recipe from the homeland. 

Maybe I am just getting a bit too hot headed today, but would love to know everyone's thoughts on this. Do you agree that we are more progressive with regard to embracing a more authentic multicultural way of cooking?

Anyone?... Anyone?.... 

Or have I just lost any American followers I had, and some?

POST SCRIPT:  At Starbucks, they have a coffee called an Americano... its a long black to us cultured Australians! Read HERE for more information about how Americans view Australian's coffee styles!

And contrary to what Americans might believe, most of us DO NOT talk like THIS

3 comments:

  1. Ha. Not overstepping the mark. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, DC and very witty!

    BTW, from one who is qualified to speak as both an Australian and an 'immigrant' ;-p, Australian's are VERY patriotic (and we love it) :).

    As a HUGE generalisation, Americans do need to get 'out more' and by 'out' I don't mean out of the house I mean 'out of the country'.

    Fortunately, there are many lovely Americans out there who have been 'out of the country' and appreciate there is life after the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's probably just a 'lost translation' moment because a biscuit to the Americans is not what a biscuit is to us aussies (just google it to find out the difference)
    The yanks most definitely know their food, but like most countries, their faves seem to originate from surrounding countries (Mexico for example) or certain parts of the states. I've never been to a country that offers such a wide range of amazing food, and while it might not be what we're used to, half the foodie fun is exploring new ways of cooking, baking and dining.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from everyone. Thank you so much!